Telkom Indonesia - Smart Airport 3.0
Name of Organization / Company: Telkom Indonesia, Jakarta, Indonesia
Category: Award for Innovation in Business Information Apps
Entry Title: Smart Airport 3.0: Airport Transformation through Digital Passenger Experience
Transportation industry, especially air transportation, is potential market with 14% industry growth yearly and is still predicted to grow more. Passenger air transport traffic, managed by Indonesia Airport Provider (Angkasa Pura I and Angkasa Pura II), was reported 133 million passengers from January until September 2016, grew at 14.21% (YoY). With huge number of passengers, air transport business has big opportunity to be grabbed, in terms of airport operator, airlines, and their service support. ICT has evolved aviation business where technology plays important role in operation and strategic management of airport operation including airlines.
Telkom has developed Smart Airport 3.0 application as an integrated ecosystem solution for aeronautic (flight information) and non-aeronautic (shuttle bus location, city bus, car park, taxi service, etc.) with user-friendly interface.
Smart Airport 3.0 application consists of:
1. Smart Apps Indonesian Airport, using Open API Services for flight information; integrated taxi reservation; weather information; flight booking; event information; airport care including click contact center; customer satisfaction feedback; and public information airport such as hotel, retail store and restaurant information.
2. Smart Toilet, using device application monitoring, workflow engine and in-spatial service.
3. Smart Baggage, using open API services for handling customer baggage.
4. Smart Taxi, provides taxi information around the airports including taxi order.
5. Smart Shuttle, provides the information about where to find the nearest location of a shuttle bus to move between terminal within the airport area.
6. Smart Parking, provides availability of parking area and the location of an already parked car.
7. Free Wifi Services integrated with push advertising.
Considering high cost of Smart Airport 3.0 development for airport operator, Telkom has design business scheme that made Smart Airport 3.0 affordable for airport operator, which is revenue sharing. Revenue sharing business scheme covers revenue sharing from commercial tenant transaction, wi.fi.id (Telkom WiFi) access, taxi reservation, and advertising.
Currently, Telkom has made cooperation with Angkasa Pura II (AP II), who operates 13 airports in Indonesia. Smart Airport 3.0 has been implemented in Soekarno-Hatta International Airport since October 2016. The success of implementation in Soekarno-Hatta International Airport could become role model of implementation in other 237 Indonesia’s airports.
As a result, AP II CEO has claimed that Smart Airport 3.0 can increase efficiency and company productivity, thus boosting AP II revenue by 18% growth from IDR 5.64 Trillion (USD 42 million) in 2015 to IDR 6.65 Trillion (USD 499.2 million) in 2016. The increasing efficiency of AP II due to real time process monitoring in airport service and facility such as integrated Smart Toilet with dashboard visibility that centralized in facility operation center.
People embrace Smart Airport 3.0 application with enthusiasm and gained positive responds since its launch. There were more than 5000 users already download Smart Airport 3.0 and gave score 4.7 out of 5.
Smart Airport 3.0 has created revenue of IDR 9 billion (USD 675 thousand) for Telkom since its launch in Soekarno-Hatta International Airport. Telkom has won project to implement Smart Airport 3.0 in 26 airports operated by AP I and AP II with contract value of IDR 63 billion (USD 4.73 million).
Furthermore, Smart Airport 3.0 has opened opportunity for Telkom to enter digital airport solution arena that can be implemented in other 211 airports in Indonesia and has supported airport operators to create new business through non-aeronautic business.