2016 Asia-Pacific Stevie Awards Gold Winner – C3 Agency
Company: C3 Agency, Inc. Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Category: Award for Innovation in Business-to-Business Events
Entry Title: Cathay Pacific's History-making #CXHKGtoBOS Inaugural Launch
Cathay Pacific (CX) celebrates the joy of travel and offers a promise of quality with a spirit of modern Asian beauty. In late 2014, the airline launched a refreshed global brand identity that visually revealed its brand ethos: “Softly spoken, strongly felt.”
An updated logo, website and airport lounges began CX’s refreshed brand identity journey. It soon announced new non-stop service from Boston Logan International Airport to Hong Kong International Airport, linking the two cities directly for the first time. HKG–BOS non-stop significantly reduces total travel time, an appealing benefit for travelers flying to/from Hong Kong or the 44 Asian cities accessed via Cathay Pacific / Dragonair’s Hong Kong hub.
Cathay Pacific hired the award-winning C3 Agency to handle the historical launch.
CX’s marketing team relied on C3’s “strategic + creative” event planning to engage its business audience and meet these objectives:
• bring the brand ethos to life
• build awareness and amplify the benefits of HKG–BOS
• celebrate the inaugural HKG–BOS flight
Creatively, C3 was inspired by how these two world-class cities are modern yet steeped in history. We curated three distinct experiences in three different locations to demonstrate CX’s modern sensibilities and respect for cultural traditions while celebrating each city’s great history.
First Flight Celebration
2 May 2015
Gate E4 International Terminal - Logan International Airport
Business Audience: Massachusetts Port Authority (Massport) Executives
• Transformed dull airport gate into whimsical event space: up-lighting, music, custom pillows, flowers in vintage tea tins, large-scale backdrops, branded fortune cookies.
• A traditional lion dance and roasted pig cutting ceremony blessed and wished the new flight good luck.
• Engaged guests with selfie sticks for photo opps with flight attendants.
“By adding this flight and this prestigious airline to our roster, it proves that Boston Logan has become a player on the world stage. The entire New England region will benefit, as this nonstop flight to Hong Kong opens the door to Asia and can create new business connections and improve existing ones. We are looking forward to a long and successful partnership with Cathay Pacific.” Thomas P. Glynn, Chief Executive Officer, Massport
5 May 2015
Massachusetts State House
Business Audience: Hong Kong Economic and Trade, Key Politicians, Airline and Airport C-Suite
• Designed an experiential evening for CX’s esteemed business contacts: signature cocktails and high-profile speakers preceded an exquisite formal dinner; a high-energy fashion show followed.
• Juxtaposed the venue’s historical architecture with stunning florals; modern tablescapes; elegantly designed signage and collateral.
• Entertainment: The Harvard Krokodiloes; “Walking on Air” fashion show featuring authentic CX uniforms from 1946-2015
“The style and tone was spot on and positioned CX and our brand in exactly the right light. Refined without being pushy, softly spoken but strongly felt and conveyed.” Rupert Hogg, Chief Operating Officer, Cathay Pacific Airways Limited
7 May 2015
Business Audience: Airline Industry, Travel Influencers, Travel Agents, CX Staff
• Surprised and delighted guests with fan dancing and fife and drum performances preceding executive speeches and champagne toasts.
• Showcased Boston seafood and Hong Kong street food, presented and served in upscale style. • Inspired social media posts: 12’ wide “#CXHKGtoBOS” ice sculpture, 8’ tall CX boarding passes, an interactive photo booth with aviation-themed props.
• Engaged guests with expert calligraphy artists hand-painting travel mantras on CX teapot sets as gifts to display in their office.
“We heard nothing but praise and accolades. Everyone loved everything – from the food to all the experiential activations. Our very own staff said it was the best event they've been to. Thank you, again! And thank you once more for everything you did to create memorable events for our customers and clients.” Michelle Cheng, Marketing Supervisor, Cathay Pacific Airways Limited